Monday, January 13, 2014

Conference Call

I sat down on the bed and my mind raced. 'Developments with Simon's case' what did that mean? I recalled my comment from the night before "0% of failed referrals come through."

I had to stop myself from hoping he would come home. At that moment all I knew was that for some reason God had given us another opportunity to be used in Simon's life. That was enough.

I had a few guesses about what might have happened but I knew that I was dealing with limited information from 6 months ago. Anything could have changed between then and now. I began preparing my heart for anything.

The beautiful thing about time is that it keeps moving even when your entire world is falling apart or coming back together. You can't rush it and you can't stop it. Time continues at the same constant rate and no amount of panic or pleading can change that.

We set the conference call for 10:45am the next day. In the meantime Lisa had been able to connect with Ken and Cathy and our lawyer one more time about Simon's case. Lisa calmly and clearly took us through the timeline of what they knew.

What I had been wondering in my heart this whole time was true..Simon's Uncle never came to get him.

They have agreed on a plan to write letters to all of Simon's relatives and allow 6 weeks for a response. If no one claims him within that time they will reopen his case and allow us to file our paperwork with the court system and request a date to obtain guardianship of Simon.

An open door. A second chance. A new beautiful photograph of my son's adorable face. Much older now but still so sweet and adorable. He's even wearing a party hat. Perhaps he was at Cara's birthday party in spirit after all.

So we continue to wait knowing that on our end this changes nothing at all. It is still a delicate situation and Simon may still have family interested in caring for him in Uganda. I am just so thankful that God continues to use us to bring Simon home. We were told to be cautiously optimistic. I suck at that. I am learning. The peace that is surrounding me is not my own. It feels like the few seconds before it rains or before a firework goes off. You know something explosive is about to happen but nothing you do will change it. You just hold your breath, look up and wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment