Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Summer Moments

Sometimes you just know you are living out a moment that you will remember forever. In these moments I like to stop and smell the air, close my eyes and listen to the sounds and then open them to gaze at my surroundings. I have a horrible memory so if I don't slow down and take it all in the moment might slip past me.

Isaac's first night at the beach was one of these moments. After all the adventures of learning to trust me and splash bravely in the waves I got to watch my children from across the campfire as they gobbled down hot dogs and laughed with their friends. As the stars came out and the sky grew darker it was so entertaining to watch them dig holes in the sand and explore the beach in the darkness.


We had another great moment a few Friday's ago that still makes my face light up when I think back to it. We were over a friends house for bible study and it had grown very late. By the time the kids came out of the playroom to join the adults for dessert (blueberry cobbler...oh how I love summer!) it had grown dark outside. I had taken the kids outside on the deck for several reasons 1) they were being loud 2) blueberry cobbler is very messy and stains when spilled 3) Isaac did not want their large dog to share his dessert.

We all sat down on the deck steps making yummy sounds as we enjoyed this special treat. It wasn't until the last bite was safely in our tummies that we looked up and saw them...lightning bugs! Thankfully, I turned off all the mommy alarms in my head (it's very late, the kids are sticky and over tired, we have somewhere to be early tomorrow..) and we dove into the fun of trying to catch them.

For Isaac it went like this: He would see their glow and run as fast as he could toward the spot where he believed the bug to be. He would grab frantically at the air and then come running back to me with palms wide open to show me his bug (which was obviously not still in his hand) then he would pretend to eat the bug and spin in a circle in squeal with delight about how funny it was to "eat" them.

For Cara it went like this: She would creep slowly through the grass with her hands wide open trying to track where the last glow had come from. I would pass the ones I captured to Cara and she would stare in awe as it crawled around her hand. I watched her whisper to them and then watch as they took flight and began to glow again.

After we successfully chased all the lightning bugs out of our friends yard the game changed to "find mommy." I would sneak away in the dark and crouch down in the grass and wait for Isaac and Cara to come running and tackle me in the grass. After a big tickle fight I would sneak away to hide again. This came quickly turned into "chase mommy" and then "mommy run and hold Isaac" and then "spin until we are too dizzy to stand." By the time we joined the others back inside we were sweaty, overtired and full of giggles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We weren't sure what to expect when we took Isaac to see his first fireworks. 4th of July is a big tradition for my family. We always go to Aunt Joyce and Uncle Steve's because you can see the fireworks from their pool. Growing up there was always a large party with lots of guests, food and family fun. When Uncle Steve passed away a few years ago it left a void in our family that was always felt strongest on the 4th of July. We weren't sure if the tradition would continue but as next generation began to grown in our family we have all found our way back to Uncle Steve's pool for the fireworks.

This year the fireworks were accompanied by a soundtrack of little voices as the cousins experienced the bright colors together...

"wow, that was the biggest one."
"oooo, that was the loudest one."
"Mommy! Why fireworks in the pool?!"
"Mommy! Why oooo   ahhh?"
"I want to touch firework"

By the end of the fireworks all 4 of us were packed into one chair and shouting out as our favorite colors lit up the sky.

However, for me the best part was the ride home. Cara sweetly fell fast asleep but not Isaac. He went on for 45 min about "Purple! Yellow! Green" and how they were "Up high in the sky" and a million questions about "why go boom?", "Why so high" He recounted the night by saying "Mommy, Isaac 'ooooo' 'ahhh'" Then we laughed to ourselves as we heard sounds from the back seat as he tried to mimic the sounds the fireworks made. When we asked him if he liked the fireworks he shouted "Yeah!" and started over with "Purple! Yellow! Green!".... all I could do was smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was also a great first for my kids....




A rope swing! It is fun when they can experience firsts together. They took turns all night long saying "Daddy/Mommy push me higher!" It was wonderful to watch them as they learn to take risks and trust us with each push. It was also encouraging to watch them include one another..."Your turn!" I'll let the photos speak for themselves here.




1 comment:

  1. Saw your family for the first time today at the Burlington Kids' Day. What a blessing to see your son with his father...such love and tenderness displayed. It made me smile and I believe it makes the Lord smile too when He sees how you both have embraced a precious child into your family and are nurturing him in God's love...priceless!

    ReplyDelete