Friday, June 1, 2012

Big Sister

 Cara moved into her "big girl" room around the time that we were visited by our social worker for our home inspection. We had been working hard to get the house ready and talking a lot about "Ugi" (our nickname for our son until we know his name - short for Uganda) alot. Without realizing it we had communicated to Cara that Ugi was coming home soon. In her little mind this meant braving the transition into a new room and a "big girl" bed so that her brother would have a place to live. It started randomly with a nap one day. "Mom, can I sleep in my 'big girl' room today?"
 "Are you sure?"
"Yes."

A few days later she asked to spend the night (right between our two interviews). My heart melted when I finally put the pieces together and saw things from Cara's perspective. The social worker showed up for our final interview and Cara met her at the door "You didn't bring Ugi!" She wasn't sad. She just didn't understand what all the getting ready was for if he wasn't actually coming home.

Since then Cara has been working hard at learning how to be a big sister. She has set aside some of her favorite books and toys, even a favorite blanket for her brother to have "when he comes home mommy." When we went shopping for our new baby cousin (my sister-in-law is due in June!) Cara insisted on buying something for Ugi as well.

She has decided that she will teach him how to climb the stairs and play with toys. She has also started helping me with the little boy that I watch once a week. She loves handing me wipes while I change diapers, finding his pacifier, feeding him, and bringing him various toys when he cries. Below are some photos from today. She practices these things with no prompting from me at all,she's just so excited to be a good big sister.



Pushing the swing gently
Pulling the wagon to the park



Feeding Cheerios - working on the one for you two for me principal

No comments:

Post a Comment