Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Leez

Lately I have been flashing back to this past summer in the Dominican Republic. I remember afternoons where we were flooded with children eager for some fun, a snack and hopefully a message that brings hope. I remember one afternoon specifically where I was sitting with a group of 10-12 kids around age 7. Our goal was to make a craft about a sheep. However, we had many more kids arrive that day than anticipated so only half of my group had pictures of sheep on their page. The others had blank paper. I remember sitting there looking at their smiling but frustrated faces as they looked to me to tell them what to do with a blank piece of paper and some cotton balls. I gestured for them to draw the sheep on their papers. Nothing. I picked up a marker and mimicked what I wanted them to do. Still nothing. I looked around for someone that spoke Spanish to help but all the translators were busy. I have never wanted to speak Spanish more than I did in that moment. The grace these children extended to me was far more than I deserved but by the end of the day everyone left with a sheep. I ended up using my talents as an artist to bridge the language barrier that existed between us.

I think about that day because Isaac doesn't speak English. I'm not sure how far we'll get in the bonding process if I just keep drawing sheep.

I reached out to a friend and she sent me a packet of Luganda words with pictures. It didn't take me long to realize I was going to need help. On a whim I sent an email to an organization that I have volunteered with in the past. A few years ago there were some Ugandan interns serving there that I had the pleasure to get to know. I knew that they had since moved on, but my hope was that someone new had come.

A few days later I received an email with great news. "My wife, Allison can help you with that. She has an intern here from Uganda." A few weeks passed before we were able to set up a time to meet. This past Monday, Bill and I drove down to Urban Promise to meet Leez. I knew nothing about her other than that she was willing to help.

It was another one of those moments where you are hugging before you are even introduced. Leez welcomed us with a warm smile and a huge heart. As we sat down we asked Leez how long she had been here. "Six weeks." That means that when I sent my first email Leez had been on US soil for about a week, maybe two. God's timing is perfect.

"Where are you from in Uganda?" - "Mukono"...this is the EXACT village where we are staying. We mentioned our hotel and Leez spoke very warmly of the woman that runs the ministry there. She immediately started mentioning friends that would host us and help with our transition. I can't wait to meet them.

"How long are you here?" - "Two years."  If you could have been inside my head at that moment. She said "Please don't hesitate to ask. For me I believe it's God that caused us to meet. I am humbled to be of whatever help you will need. I am here, thank God till 2016. I will be here in Camden whenever you need me, God willing." 

That was just the first 5 min of our time together. Leez continued to go over every word in our packet with us. She also wrote down things she though Isaac might already know. Phrases that would help us to calm him when he was scared. I cried when she taught me "Ndi maama wo"...."I am your mother." and "nwkagala"..."I love you."

I know I won't be able to get out those words when we first meet but it won't be because I haven't learned them. God is so good. So good. 
Lauren & Leez, November 10, 2014










No comments:

Post a Comment