Saturday, December 6, 2014

Day Two


Day 2 was full of special moments. I got to observe while Isaac was given a bath. I was able to help dress him. The first outfit was way too big. The second fit much better (I checked later, the sizes were 6-9 month pants and 24 months shirt. Our sweet boy is so small).

Once he was ready we went back on the porch to play again. It took him a while to warm up but soon we were playing soccer and experimenting with daddy's sunglasses. It was so wonderful to see him smile. We took a walk outside and Isaac led Cara first to our car and then to the gate. I think he is ready to go.





After playing for a while it was time for lunch again. Isaac retreated back into his blank stare. I tried to feed him some of my lunch but he was motionless. He didn't refuse the fork but he didn't welcome the food either.

After lunch we sat outside and Miriam brought us the photobooks we had made for Isaac. It was then that I finally heard him speak. "Mama, Dada, Cara (Ky-ya)" I yelled for Bill, "He's speaking!" Isaac continued to flip through the pages and point out our faces on each one. "Mama, Dada, Cara"

It got even better. Isaac grabbed one of our water bottles and it made a crackle sound... he laughed! Have you ever heard an orphan laugh for the first time? I assure you it is the most beautiful sound in the world. We continued to play with the water bottles and photobooks. The more we played the more Isaac laughed. It was then that I could no longer hold it in. The tears began to flow. The harder Isaac laughed the more tears that came. It was so beautiful to sit and watch Cara and Isaac laugh with their father.

The more we played the more Isaac began to say. This boy that only ever whispered a word or two was loudly babbling and enjoying himself. We had no idea what he was saying but it didn't matter. We grabbed our flash cards and did our best to keep the conversation going.

All too soon it was time to leave. We led Isaac to the porch where the children were eating fruit. At first he wanted no parts of it but when Miriam spoke to him he took the bowl and happily sat down to eat. (She has a special way with him and I will miss having her around to teach me what he needs.)

Again we kissed Isaac and assured him that we would be back. He sat content with his fruit as we walked away, all I could think was "I wonder what tomorrow will bring?"

3 comments:

  1. and that picture is beautiful!! Lauren thank you for filling us in on this special journey!! I'm so happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill and Lauren - one million thank you's for these updates. We have been thinking of you. Ben and I are praying for you and he hopes to one day play with Isaac. ❤️❤️❤️❤️. Love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back memories of laughter, sunglasses theft, and desperately trying to fit clothes on small children. So happy for you guys. - Peter (and Becky)

    ReplyDelete