Saturday, December 6, 2014

Meeting Isaac

We have been very careful not to place expectations on this day. Still, it has been hard not to daydream about how it might go. I mean, what will it be like to finally meet this little person that you're already in love with?

We prepared Cara that Isaac might not warm up to us right away. He will be scared and confused. He might not want us to touch him.

I was pleased when I asked Raymond at the airport when Ken and Cathy were expecting us at the orphanage and he said "tomorrow." It still didn't feel real.

After a few hours of sleep we all piled back in the car to head to the orphanage. It isn't far but the roads are very rough so it takes a while to go even a short distance. Cara asked a million times, "when will we be there?" or "are we close to Isaac's home yet?" It was very hot in the car and quite a bumpy ride. Normally this would be a moment where I would struggle to be patient but the joy of the moment was enough to sustain us.

We were greeted by Cathy as we pulled up to the orphanage. She welcomed us inside and filled us in on some developments in our case. Meanwhile she sent someone to go fetch Isaac.

Moments later he was before us. Seeing him sent a rush of emotions over us, but I managed not to burst into tears. They placed him down on the ground, he was so tiny! He stood there silently starring at us unsure of what to do next. He was holding the lion we gave him and he gently stroked it's hair with one hand while staring at everyone in the room. We knelt down to his level but were careful to keep a comfortable distance.

Eventually, someone suggested that Cara give him a hug. In true Cara fashion she walked over and picked him up off the ground with a giant bear hug. I waited for Isaac to cry but he didn't.

Next they brought in some chairs and suggested we sit down while Cathy filled us in on the plan for the next few days. Cara sat on one knee and I gently placed Isaac on my other knee. It was then with his back to me that I couldn't hold back my tears. I finally had both of my children with me, in the same place, snuggled near. I didn't want to confuse him so I quickly tried to gain some composure and listen to what Cathy had to say.

Once we were all caught up it was time to go on a tour of the orphanage. Bill took one hand and Cara took the other. There are many thoughts and reactions I had as we walked through the orphanage that I'll share at another time, but mostly I just marveled at the sight of my family walking in front of me hand it hand. Isaac was so shy, but he was content to follow us wherever we were going.

After the tour the led us to the porch so we could have some time alone with Isaac. It was here after a few moments of playing together that Bill got his first hug. Isaac walked toward him with arms spread wide and Bill bent down to meet him. Isaac put his head on Bill's shoulder and smiled.

Bill asked if Momma could have a hug and Isaac turned to me and stretched out his arms. It was the most gentle hug. I didn't want to let go.

Cara was next and she gave him another giant bear hug. He smiled wide.

Someone came and asked us to join the staff for lunch. Isaac sat contentedly on our laps while we ate lunch but being in the presence of others caused him to retreat back to a blank stare.

After lunch we returned to the porch with a soccer ball. Bill encouraged Isaac to kick the ball. It took a while rolling the ball back and forth but eventually Isaac began to smile again and play. We watched as he continued to feel more and more comfortable. He led us around the orphanage and showed off his new toy to the other kids.

At this point everyone from the orphanage was awake from naps and the children stormed us for attention. Little hands were touching our skin and our hair. Someone was playing with my watch while another was touching my earrings. They all wanted our attention. We hugged and snuggled until Cara got knocked over. It began to be too much for her so Bill took her to another room. Isaac saw them leaving and began to cry. It was my first chance to comfort him. I picked him up and walked to find his nanny for help. "Seeleeca wo" - calm down. It worked!

After that Isaac didn't want to be put down. We tried going to a room by ourselves and putting him on a rocking horse to play. As soon as I set him down his bottom lip stuck out and he very slowly began to cry. The biggest goal is for him to feel connected and safe so I picked him back up and comforted him again.

Soon it was time to go and I was nervous that our leaving would upset him. I made sure Miriam, his favorite nanny, was close and we kissed him goodbye. Miriam explained that we would be back tomorrow. No tears!

Day 2 was even better...

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome! I'm crying. Let me compose myself before reading Day 2!!

    ReplyDelete