Friday, December 12, 2014

Visiting Isaac - There Are So Many Babies at the Orphanage


It is hard to know what is going on inside Isaac's sweet little head. Thursday was a much harder day at the orphanage. I had been up sick a few times in the night (not sure why) and was not feeling quite like myself. Isaac seemed to only want Bill and he definitely wanted to get in the car and go. Isaac spent most of the morning in tears. We did our best to explain that today we would stay and play at the orphanage but he only wanted the car. In a last ditch effort we set up camp on the porch near the car and tried to play. Eventually, he enjoyed some stickers.
We stayed to watch him eat lunch and then I had the privilege to bathe Isaac myself. After his bath I put on lotion the way the nannies do and put on the clothes they had left out for him. My hope is that if I am helpful with these routines at the babies home, Isaac will trust me to do them when we are at the hotel. Next all three of us helped to lift Isaac into his bed and attempted to say goodbye. More tears came, but it was time to go. Thankfully, the nannies took over and by the time we were loading the car he had stopped crying.
Friday (today) was a better day. We rode with Cathy to the orphanage today which meant we got to stop at the supermarket, butcher and local fruit and veggie market. This time we stayed in the car and watched as Cathy negotiated price but we asked if next time we can accompany her as she interacts with the vendors. 

When we arrived we helped to unload the produce and carry it to the kitchen. Within moments I saw the worlds smallest face peeking at me through the window (he must have been on his tippy toes). By the time I made it around the back of the building Isaac had run through the hallways and met me with a huge smile. I hope through all of this Isaac learns that Mommy and Daddy will always come back. 
Once again Isaac led me out to the car and started babbling. It was clear he wanted to go. We have been trying to say Luganda words to Isaac in hopes that he will understand us. In a last ditch effort I said "car" and Isaac repeated "car" and smiled. He pointed toward the gate and I said "gate" and Isaac said "gate." I discovered that he would repeat anything I said (which was comical when I would try to think of the next thing and say "um" because Isaac would say "um" and look at me for approval).
Isaac was still emotional and there were many moments of tears but today he seemed to respond when we tried to comfort him. He was clearly unsettled if all 4 of us were not together in the same place. By the end of the day if I was more than two steps ahead of Bill and Cara Isaac would start to cry.
However, in our time together we discovered much about our sweet boy. He counted to ten for Bill all on his own (counting coins I think). He continued to repeat anything we would say including colors, the alphabet and numbers. We learned that the sound he has been saying over and over again "Coc ca" is his word for himself. Knowing that helped define much of the babble we have been hearing over the past few weeks.

After lunch Isaac was even content enough to play alone with Bill while I started drawing the murals at the babies home. I was worried he would see me through the window and cry, but he was happy to have all of Bill's attention. They played with solo cups like it was the best game in the world. Stacking and unstacking.
Cara was incredible today. She has taken it upon herself to monitor the room with the babies. She keeps an extra special watch over Favor and comes to get me whenever she is crying. If I can't help, she seeks out a nanny. If Cara could help it, Favor would never have to cry. Bill said that every time he went to check on her, Cara was playing with a different child. She was helping some of them walk, giving bottles, and tickling the babies. By the end of the day Cara was completely spent (and her attitude showed it) between playing with the children and trying to make time for Isaac she had used up all her love for the day. She fell asleep within moments of leaving the babies home and even surpised herself by sleeping through all the bumpy roads. Cara keeps saying "there are so many children at the orphanage." Last night she prayed for them all to find homes quickly. I teased her that Ken and Cathy were going to want to keep her. She is quickly becoming their best nanny :)

I can't bare to tell her that this is one orphanage in a town of many orphanages, in a country of many towns with many orphanages, on a continent with many countries. Her heart would break.

On the ride home today I asked Cathy how many children have been adopted from their orphanage so far. Eleven- since 2009. Now this does not include the dozens of children they have been able to reunite with their birth families or relatives, but it is a hard reality. Cara is right, there are so many babies at the home.

2 comments:

  1. Sending you love and prayers! Thanks for posting these updates! This is such an incredible journey - it gives me chills every time I think about it. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with him! Thanks so much for posting Lauren! I look forward to reading every one. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete