Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Is This a Dream?

Today feels very strange. Could it be that this is really happening? Was that me saying goodbye to all my friends? Is that our luggage ready to be loaded into the car? Is it finally our turn?

I woke up at 5am with the feeling like it was Christmas morning. It was around this time 5 years ago when my water broke with Cara and I had the same feeling of unknown and excitement. I stand here in a quiet house and know that everything in my life is changing in a beautiful and irreversible way.

Yesterday was mildly eventful. Bill has been so faithful with organizing our paperwork. As he was making copies of one of our forms he noticed a discrepancy in the expiration date. One date left us with plenty of time, the other just 12 days until it expired. We quickly called USCIS (immigration) and got voicemail. Officer Marshall emailed that he would get back to us at noon (his time)...the Philadelphia office closed at 4pm (our time!). This easily could have been a time to panic. This is basically the clearance that says we are fit to leave the country and bring home our son. Yet nothing but peace and anticipation flooded over me. I calmly folded laundry as I listened to Bill's conversation with Officer Marshall..."there is nothing you can do before you leave...try to work it out at the embassy...I can't promise you this will work..."

We quickly stopped everything we were doing and jumped in the car. A quick drive into northeast Philly and we were at the local USCIS office with our entire 26 folder accordion file of paperwork.."We leave tomorrow!" Bill said. The woman behind the desk said "without an appointment form there is nothing we can do."

In an effort to get to the office before it closed we neglected to get Cara out of her Elsa dress (a recent birthday gift). The woman behind the desk took one look at her and told Bill "see if you can get a hold of the officer you've been dealing with."

I calmly sat and colored with Cara. The few people that knew this was happening were texting in a panic for more information. All I could say was "God is in control." The peace I felt greatly exceeded my circumstances. It was very real.

It didn't happen all at once. We waited as different people noticed us and thought through our options. It seemed like a closed door. Eventually the head officer came over. One look at Cara and he said "I'll come up with a plan."

By the time we left special forms had been created, computer systems had been overridden, fingerprints had been taken and Cara was getting a special tour of this guys office to look at all his Disney memorabilia. People who normally have that stone cold look of the DMV were smiling and asking us about our trip. "Don't you need their photo ID?"..."No, we know who they are, they are the Kamps' " No joke. This was the kind of unprecedented favor we were getting. None of it should have been possible...but we believe in a God who's kind of familiar with impossible.

So now I sit here and wait for my family to wake up. I'm alone with my God and so grateful for all that he has done to get me (us) to this moment. I am thankful for yesterday's concrete reminder that He is in control.

I am thankful to get to be God's hands and feet that go when called. I am overwhelmed to the point of tears that He would pick us to live out his love for Isaac and bring him home. To heal Isaac's pain and remind him that he is not alone. As one person I am not much. As a couple we accomplish a lot. With God, we have been able to so much more than I ever thought possible.

Take me. Use me. Mold me. Fill me...and help us pour out your love on as many people as we possibly can while we are on this earth (especially at a little orphanage in Uganda :).


-------------------------------------------
You might not hear from us for a week or so while we get settled but we promise to fill you in on the journey as soon as we can.


No comments:

Post a Comment